The ‘no excuse for poor driving’ campaign is part of a whole range of activities delivered by the Safer Essex Roads Partnership.
Working hard to ensure Essex’s road users are as safe as possible, the Road Safety team focus on educating motorists and motorcyclists:-
• To wear a seat belt whenever they are in a vehicle
• Never to use a phone when driving, even if it is hands free
• Never to drink and drive/ride. Any amount of alcohol will impair a drivers/riders ability
• Pay attention to speed limits and stay within them. Drivers/riders should adjust their speed according to conditions, for example, by slowing down when it is raining
• To ensure that they never exhibit Anti-social driver/rider behaviour
These key areas of road safety are targeted during the regular ‘Surround a Town (SAT) events. SATs are used to target areas in the county where research has shown that the most crashes and casualties occur. Essex Police Officers stop drivers who are committing a road safety offence, such as being on the phone whilst driving and, with the support of the Essex Highways Road Safety team, either offer road safety education or, if necessary, issue a penalty notice. SATs will be taking place throughout the County during 2015, so remember there is ‘no excuse for poor driving’.