The police can pull you over for all sorts of stuff: a light not working, your rust-bucket exhaust dragging on the road, your motor over-crammed with mates. They don’t even have to give you a reason. Don’t panic if you’re pulled over; here’s what to do:
- You must stop; failing to pull over could cost you £1,000.
- Look for somewhere safe to stop – it’s ok to drive on a little way.
- Stay in your car with the doors locked.
- Check that it’s a legit cop car that pulled you over.
- By law, a copper who stops you MUST be in uniform.
- Wind the window down and ask to see the officer’s ID warrant card. He MUST carry this.
- The officer may ask to see your licence, insurance certificate and vehicle registration docs. If you don’t have these on you, you’ll have seven days to show them at a police station.
- Don’t show off and get gobby; co-operate and be nice.