Get in the habit of giving your motorbike a weekly maintenance check. From the tyres to the handlebars – if you keep it in good nick, it’ll run better and safer.
- Drive chain: oil it to guard against wear. Check the tension is correct (your handbook will tell you what this is).
- Rear wheel: alignment. The wheels should be straight or they can wear unevenly.
- Cables: check these aren’t getting pinched or caught by handlebars moving fully from left lock to right lock.
- Cleaning: wash and clean your bike, especially in the filthy winter. Keep all lights and mirrors especially clean.
- Fluids: check the oil, coolant and brake fluid are all a-ok.
- Tyres: check for pressure (your bike manual will tell you the correct setting), good tread and general damage.
- Lights: they should all work.