Essex Police offers winter driving tips
With winter well and truly on its way, Essex Police has published a series of tips to help drivers stay safe on the roads as the weather deteriorates.
Sgt Neil Coalbran of Stanway Roads Policing gives the following advice to motorists.
- Lights – make sure your lights are in good working order
- Tyres – ensure there is sufficient tread on your tyres and that they are inflated to the correct level. Remember the simple 20p coin test, where the outer band of the coin should be obscured when inserted into the tread if it is above the legal limit
- Windscreen – check the condition of your wiper blades and windscreen to ensure it is free form cracks
- Screen wash – ensure the screen wash bottle is topped up and at a concentration that does not freeze
- Equipment – equip yourself with a torch, blanket, de-icer, warm clothing and snacks in case of unexpected longer journey times
- Heating – make sure the heating in your car is in good working order so the windscreen can be demisted and to prevent you from freezing!
- Vision – Before setting off check all your windows and mirrors are clear so you have an unrestricted view of the road
- Slow down – Slow down when driving and give yourself plenty of time to get round bends or to stop behind hazards ahead. The road surface may be slippery, which can increase your stopping distance on icy roads up to 10 times compared to when on a dry road surface
- And finally – make sure you have sufficient fuel for your journey by keeping the fuel tank topped up.
Click here for more winter driving advice from Highways England.
13 November 2017
Share this page: